In today’s post, I would like to explain what happens when Jupiter in a person’s chart is weak or debilitated. I will also recommend some traditional Vedic remedies.
A planet in debilitation is weak in its nature and exhibits very few of its natural beneficial or useful characteristics. It is also considered Sushupta, “sleeping”, so its qualities are in a dormant state. This can be compared to a soldier who is in a deep sleep. He cannot take orders from his general and enemies can easily overpower him.
There are many possible instances indicating the weakness of Jupiter in one’s chart. Here are some of them:
- Jupiter is debilitated in Capricorn, while its full debilitation (most painful effects) occur when this planet is up to the 5 degrees of Capricorn.
- Jupiter in difficult houses: 6, 8, 12.
- Jupiter low in Shad Bala (planetary strength), especially when it does not meet its required percentage in most individual Balas.
- Jupiter combust (very close to the Sun).
- Jupiter aspected by or conjunct with its enemies Mercury or Venus.
- Jupiter aspected by or conjunct with Rahu or Ketu, especially if Saturn, Mars, or Sun are also present in the same house.
- Jupiter weak in divisional charts, as indicated by its low Vimshopaka Bala score.
When several of these factors combine, a traditional Vedic remedy is a necessity. If you would like to preview your Vedic natal chart and see where your Jupiter is placed, please see the CALCULATOR. If you are new to Vedic astrology and would like to learn more about the strength of your Jupiter (and all your other planets), as well as receive more personalised remedies for your problems, please consider checking out my affordable birth chart readings HERE.
What does it mean, however, when a person’s natal Jupiter is not very strong?
In Vedic astrology, Jupiter is a planet of virtue, philosophy, nobility, and wisdom. It also represents children. This planet is a significator of husband in a woman’s chart. Jupiter bestows goodness that an individual is cultivating within themselves and which they bestow upon the world. Just as the friction in the atmosphere creates a spark of thunder that lands upon the earth and releases nitrogen which allows for the plants to grow, Jupiter churns goodness within the person that is released into the world and fellow human beings. Jupiter, the planet of lofty ideals and virtue, does not feel well in the tamasic and down-to-earth sign of Capricorn. The practical struggles of Capricorn, which is ruled by restrictive Saturn, are incompatible with the expansive optimism of Jupiter.
When Jupiter is debilitated or weak, an individual will not feel at peace with their knowledge and belief system. Failing to see the grand purpose and meaning behind their life, he or she will most likely struggle with pessimism, depression, and lack of enthusiasm or faith. Happiness experienced through children will be reduced and financial problems may arise. A person may feel restricted in the expression of their goodness and virtue – friendliness, benevolence, and charitability will not be particularly visible in their character. If we are looking at a woman’s chart, she will experience sorrow or hardship in marriage. Last but not least, a native might be troubled by delays or obstructions related to their education.
The following is a list of both traditional and modern remedies for an afflicted Jupiter. If you would like to improve the strength of this planet, pick a few of these suggestions and try to implement them in your daily life.
- You can increase the positive energy of Jupiter by using tonic herbs such as licorice, ashwagandha, astragalus, and ginseng.
- Wear gold jewellery.
- Always keep a yellow handkerchief with you.
- Try to be more respectful towards your teachers and gurus.
- Surround yourself with optimistic and supportive individuals.
- Wear more yellow, orange, and gold colours. Avoid dark colours.
- Any type of spiritual practice is good for uplifting your natal Jupiter. Meditation or prayer would be much recommended.
- Consider performing charitable acts. For example, you can donate to spiritual organisations or help the poor or the unprivileged.
- Read more books about spiritual or philosophical topics. Take every possible opportunity to cultivate higher wisdom within yourself.
When it comes to spiritual practice, you can worship Lord Ganesha, a deity connected to planet Jupiter. Ganesha, the elephant-headed god, the first son of Shiva and Parvati, is the main deity of Vedic astrology. He is the lord of time and karma as well as the deity governing all the occult sciences, including the usage of mantras. He holds the power of all mantras within himself and can make them all work effectively. Ganesha is usually propitiated at the beginning of any activity for protection and removal of obstacles. He is worshipped before any other deities, whether for outer rituals or for internal yoga practices.
The avatar of Vishnu most suitable for remedying your weak Jupiter is Vamana. Vamana is the dwarf avatar of Vishnu, who represents the wisdom-power of Jupiter that encompasses the entire universe. Worshipping him puts you in contact with Jupiterian qualities of wisdom, benevolence, optimism, and ability to carry great burdens of life with grace and humility.
Mantra to Ganesha: Om Gam Ganapataye Namah. This mantra should ideally be chanted on Thursdays. You can also wear an elephant pendant on this day.
Mantra to Jupiter: Om Brim Brihaspataye Namah
Mantra to Vamana: Om Shree Vamanaya Namah