In today’s post, I would like to explain what happens when Mercury in a person’s chart is weak or debilitated. I will also recommend some traditional Vedic remedies.
A planet in debilitation is weak in its nature and exhibits very few of its natural beneficial or useful characteristics. It is also considered Sushupta, “sleeping”, so its qualities are in a dormant state. This can be compared to a soldier who is in a deep sleep. He cannot take orders from his general and enemies can easily overpower him.
There are many possible instances indicating the weakness of Mercury in one’s chart. Here are some of them:
- Mercury is debilitated in Pisces, while its full debilitation (most painful effects) occur when this planet is up to the 15 degrees of Pisces.
- Mercury in difficult houses: 6, 8, 12.
- Mercury combust (very close to the Sun).
- Mercury aspected by or conjunct with Moon.
- Mercury conjunct with Saturn.
- Mercury aspected by or conjunct with Rahu or Ketu, especially if Saturn, Mars, or Sun are also present in the same house.
- Mercury weak in divisional charts, as indicated by its low Vimshopaka Bala score.
When several of these factors combine, a traditional Vedic remedy is a necessity. If you would like to preview your Vedic natal chart and see where your Mercury is placed, please see the CALCULATOR. If you are new to Vedic astrology and would like to learn more about the strength of your Mercury (and all your other planets), as well as receive more personalised remedies for your problems, please consider checking out my affordable birth chart readings HERE.
What does it mean, however, when a person’s natal Mercury is not very strong?
In Vedic astrology, Mercury is a planet responsible for taking practical advantage of our skills, navigating the world of friendships and business, finding best opportunities, negotiating, making requests, utilising investigative and research skills, and practically manifesting our dreams. Mercury is debilitated in Pisces, a sign of higher intuition and imagination, in which Mercurial rational intellect does not work very well. There could be some difficulty with being practical and a person’s organisational skills may not be particularly remarkable, because they are focused on seeing the bigger picture. Memorising details, note taking, working with numbers, and doing paperwork could also be troublesome. An individual’s speech may lack clarity and others may often fail to understand their intentions. A person with afflicted Mercury may struggle with maintaining friendships or he or she might be overly focused on other people’s problems (instead of managing their own life). Feeling vulnerable when making appointments or requests could be another possible difficulty, especially when Mercury is combust. Last but not least, people with weak Mercury could have a tendency to feel limited or not very realistic about opportunities available to them.
The following is a list of both traditional and modern remedies for an afflicted Mercury. If you would like to improve the strength of this planet, pick a few of these suggestions and try to implement them in your daily life.
- Spend more time on recognising how your speech affects others.
- Increase your command of language by expanding your vocabulary (reading more) or studying a new language.
- Incorporate more elements of structure and organisation into your daily life.
- Communicate your needs more clearly and strongly. Don’t take it personally when people reject your requests.
- In order to sharpen your Mercurial qualities, you can play some logic games every now and then. Examples include chess, sudoku, various puzzles, etc.
- Make sure that you have more green (or khaki) colours in your wardrobe and wear green clothes on Wednesdays.
- Good herbs to strengthen Mercury: basil, camomile, mint, skullcap, passion flower, and betony.
- Good aromas to strengthen Mercury: eucalyptus, mint, wintergreen, cedar, thyme, and sage.
Mantra to Budha (Mercury) should be chanted on Wednesdays.
Mantra: Om Bum Budhaya Namah